Our hair goes through a lot of wear and tear due to chemical-based hair colors, hair styling tools, strong shampoos, and exposure to dust and sun.
Deep conditioning is needed to bring back the strength and shine of your hair.
At first, many people assume deep cleansing to be a luxury activity done in hair salons. However, deep conditioning is something all of us need for healthy hair. You can quickly deep condition your hair by following these five steps.
- Wash your hair: The process starts with washing your hair with a regular shampoo. The idea is to clean the dust from hair, and washing also opens the pores on our scalp.
- Apply Oil: Apply oil on your hair roots. Make sure to apply the oil evenly covering the whole scalp. You may also apply some oil on hair ends. A tip here is to use a natural hair treatment oil and use a dropper to apply the oil directly to your scalp.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and wrap a warm and damp towel around your hair. The heat allows deeper penetration of oil into your scalp, which is the purpose of the deep conditioning exercise. Keep your hair in this state for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with cold water: We recommend not rinsing with plain water, but if you have oily hair, you may want to use a mild shampoo. Make sure the shampoo is just enough to take away the stickiness. Using more shampoo will take away most of the benefits obtained from the above process. A tip here is to deep condition your hair at night, a little before going to bed. That way, you can shampoo your hair adequately the next morning.
- Repeat at regular intervals. Some people do it weekly; others do it once in two weeks. Weekly once is suitable for those with dry and rough hair, while those with smooth and oily hair may want to do it once every two weeks.
A point to remember is that deep conditioning will not bring any noticeable overnight results. Deep conditioning your hair regularly will help you regain the strength and shine of your hair.